- Laugh*Makers Magazine, P.O. Box 160, Syracuse, N.Y. 13215
- 6 issues/yr. $24--This is my favorite magazine. It has a wealth of
covering various performing arts: puppetry, magic, ventriloquism, chalk talks,
balloon art, clowning, storytelling......... In fact, I write a column called
- The Annual International Ventriloquist Convention
- This convention is held at the
Drawbridge Inn, Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky every summer. It's four days
laughter. Many nationally known ventriloquists attend and share
I performed with two of my puppets at the 1990 convention.
- The North American Association of Ventriloquists
- This is a support
organization for ventriloquists. Clinton and Adelia Detweiler (owners
of Maher Ventriloquist Studios, P. O. Box 420, Littleton, Colorado, 80160)
send out catalogs, new product updates, and news of other ventriloquists
in The Maher Messenger, and will cheerfully answer all questions
for their members. Membership, catalog, and subscription is $10 for
2 years. They sell books, tapes, puppets, figures, and other items
of interest to the ventriloquist. I purchased the following
excellent tapes and book from Maher Studios:
- Developing Character Voices by Liz VonSeggen
- Advanced Ventriloquism by Col. Bill Boley
This informative tape explains the distant voice and drinking effect.
- Comedy Writing For Kid Shows by Mark Wade
This is a complete "how-to" course on how to write and produce your own
kid show comedy material. (3 tapes)
- Ventrilo-Magic by Col. Bill Boley
He explains in this book some of his favorite ways to combine the two.
He tells details of thirteen tricks.
- This is the official publication of The Vent World
Ironwood Court, Vinton, Virginia 24179-4923.
Robert Ladd is the editor of this
excellent newsletter, published quarterly, $10/year. A typical issue has 32
pages of articles by ventriloquists, news, and ads.
- Priddis Music Corp., 1549 N. State St., Suite 231, Orem, UT 84057
- Phone 1-800-326-3062 for a free catalog. I have used their background
music tapes that
sound close to the original arrangement. Audiences have responded well to
the parodies that I like to write for my puppets to sing. You can get
information about the Karaoke Music Club for discounted tapes there, too.
- Steve Dawson's Magic Touch, www.dawsonmagic.com
- He has a very complete and reputable magic business. He
publishes a newsletter of his latest stock for in-store and for mail-order
- David Ginn, 4387 St. Michaels Dr., Lilburn, GA 30247.
- For $3/year David will
put you on his mailing list for magic supplies that he sells by mail.
He is an
author of many magic books, performs for children and does workshops for
magicians all over the world. He knows what children like. I enjoy
six friendly newsletters each year.
- Puppets From One Way Street, P.O. Box 2398, Littleton, Colorado
- Liz VonSeggen sells puppets, books, and tapes. My big bird was made here.
- Verna Finly, 1750 Jamaica Way #113, Punta Gorda, FL 33950,
(941) 639-0464, email: afcol@Peganet.com
- She makes exquisite soft foam puppets to your
specifications. She also
sells a four hour video tape on how to make your own puppets. The
tape is well done and easy to follow.
- Tim Selberg Studios, 1034 Betts Rd., Leonard, Mi 48367, phone: (248)969-2227, fax: (248)969-0022
- Website: www.selbergstudios.com,
- Tim Selberg carves the most exquisite figures that I have
ever seen. If money is no object, and you want the best, you must investigate
- Captain Dick's Dummy Depot, Dick Wightman, 2631 NW 95th St.,
WA 98117 (206) 784-0883
- He buys used figures, refurbishes, and sells them.